Saturday, August 30, 2014

Sweet Angel Cookies!

My mom used to bake these cookies for us when we were kids. I have no idea where she got this recipe, it probably came from one of her friends or a family member but I have never seen this particular recipe anywhere else in my long life.  

I have been baking these cookies myself since I was about 8 years old. 

I would get up in the middle of the night and bake cookies and then go back to bed, get up and go to school.

I still love baking by myself when the house is quiet, real quiet and dark outside. The outside world comes to a stop and I am able to concentrate and enjoy myself. Nothing interrupts me, no phone calls, no television, no people. Just me, my hot cookies, and a tall glass of cold milk.

Angel Sugar Cookies

½ cup Crisco
½ cup Real Butter (1 stick) at room temperature
½ cup white sugar
½ cup dark brown sugar

Cream together with mixer in bowl about one minute on medium speed.

Add:
1 egg

Mix together for about one minute on low, just enough to get it mixed in good.

Sift together then add to wet mixture:

2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar

Mix together on low for about another minute. Then add:

1 tsp of vanilla

Chill dough for about a half hour.

Then roll into teaspoon size balls. I then dip the bottom of a small glass (shot glass worked for me) into a small bowl of water then into a small bowl of sugar. 

And press the wet/sugar coated glass bottom onto the dough ball and flatten them a little.

This will leave a wet sugary coating on top of each cookie.



Bake on parchment paper in preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.


click here for printable recipe


Thanks for stopping by!
--------------------------------
I am linking up with:

VMG206
DIY Sunday Showcase

Dwellings - The Heart of  Your Home
Amaze Me Monday 74




10 comments:

  1. mother made these, she called them sugar cookies but they do taste like they were made my angels. she got the recipe from my dad's mother... the reason they are so good is the crisco... at least i think that is why... i love those blue bowls

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look really good. I've been trying to find a recipe for tea cakes like my grandmother used to make for us. I bet anything she used Crisco. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I saw your comment on Madsnapper's blog and was attracted by your pretty dress, so thought I would pop over. These cookies look delicious, I can almost smell them through the screen. I LOVE this blue glassware!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies! The original recipe called for all crisco, but I halved the amount and added real butter to make them softer. My family prefers the softer version and I love butter! This was my first try at adding a document to blogger, hope it works! I love building in blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious and I am SO going to try them. I used to bake cookies often - now not so much. I need to get back to that. Even if WE shouldn't eat them - there are always others to share them with. Hope you and your hubby are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so yummy. With fall coming, I can't wait to start baking again!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like that idea of pressing with a wet sugar coated glass bottom on the dough ball.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These sound divine! The sugary coating on top just makes me want to bake cookies now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never thought of baking late at night like that, but it really does sound appealing. To have my kitchen to myself is always a perk! Thanks for sharing this recipe. It looks yummy. It's always good to have a good sugar cookie recipe to use.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cookies look so good! I haven't baked in so long. Your recipe is tempting me to warm up the oven.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a peek and stopping by to visit!