Monday, April 29, 2013

Give me shoulders...


QUOTE FOR MY DAY: A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others. Frank Morgan


There are times – when you need help. You may not know you need help or know what kind of help you need. You may need a shoulder to cry on, or a shoulder to stand beside you, or a shoulder to step ahead of you and clear the way. You may need a strong shoulder, a quiet shoulder or a group of shoulders. But somewhere, sometime, someplace, you will need a shoulder.

When my brother Rod died, I cried on my cousin Thomas's shoulder. He was the first one there, shortly after the paramedics arrived. He just listened and wiped my tears. He is more than just my cousin, he is my neighbor, a father, a son, and a brother. Thomas has compassionate and caring shoulders.


When our dog Cowboy died, my brother Roy helped me carry him, bury him and cried with me. He even said a few words over the grave... gracious, heart-felt words. He knew his baby sister needed him and he was there. He is a tough man with a sincere and hilarious shoulder.


After my divorce, I was afraid and unsure of each step I took. Along came a man with a big heart and strong shoulders. He was patient as I learned to walk my new path. I made mistakes, changed directions, and took baby steps, slow baby steps. He waited. When I fell, he picked me up. When I wanted to dance, he took me dancing. When I cried, he gave me his shoulder to cry on. He carried the burdens of everyday life, and made me laugh at the same time. I married that man because he had the shoulders I needed, loved and wanted to spend the rest of my life with. I love that man more each day, more each night and even more each year, 17 years and counting.


God will place shoulders into your life. You may need to clear the path, make the space and open your heart. But if life's garbage (and the people who create that garbage) get in the way, it can take up all of your space, all of your time and consume all of your energy. You have to make room for those shoulders that lift you up, share your sadness, your joys and your life. You heart will be much happier, more content, and so blessed.

May I share my shoulders with those I love, those I have yet to meet and those who need me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a peek and stopping by to visit!