Monday, March 4, 2019

a tough year part two...



Kitty likes to lay in her bowl and watch tv in the evenings. There has been a lot of laying around going on here in our household lately.  I have a large deep vein thrombosis in my leg, extending from my hip to my ankle. I was put on  Xarelto and bedrest for 7 days as I watched my ankle slowly turn from looking like a bowl of purple spaghetti to a swollen shade of medium blue.  The Xarelto is working and I am doing much better.  It looks like I may be on it for the next 6 months. I have had no side effects so far and I feel quite a bit better.

Our backyard

Our weather forecast predicted 5-6 inches for us here in the corner of Missouri. We ended up with barely enough snow to cover the ground along with cloudy skies and a strong northerly wind. The cows are down in the valley and the birds are enjoying the corn chops in their big feeder.

Me, the hubs and Mom in 1998

Mom is almost 90 years old has been doing real well. She mysteriously ended up with two black eyes last Sunday and her diahrea is still a big problem. We are tracking what she eats and looking for something we can change. At first I thought it may be a day with too much dairy, as she also has a lot of gas. We can laugh at it, we have to. When you are crawling on the floor of the mcdonalds bathroom trying to clean your moms mess and change her underwear, you have to laugh or you may cry. 

She eats pretty much what she wants (ice cream, cheesecake, crackers, candy) when she wants but I did convince her to eat a bowl of bran cereal once a day. Sometimes she cooperates without hesitation, but sometimes she will disagree and hold her ground. 

Mom was always a very independent lady and it is hard for her to trust others to do things she is used to doing herself.

Tomorrow I will take her to our family doctor. He has suggested switching her to a pill pack prepared by the pharmacy. It will have her name on it and the day and time it is to be taken.  Mom has been refusing to do it and it has reached a point that it needs to be done. How do you tell your mom that you don't trust her to be taking her medicine correctly? That her mind isn't healthy enough?

Dementia is a roller coaster.
We take it one day at a time.
#ourdementiajourney
Prayers are welcome and appreciated if you believe.





5 comments:

  1. so sorry to hear about your leg problems and I know how serious this is to deal with. prayers for you and your health issues and for you Mom.. dementia is so hard to deal with, and effects the caregivers even more than the person who has it... I am in the embarrassing gas thing myself. and there is no controlling it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless your heart! You have a lot on your plate! Love and prayers for you from Texas as you recover your own health while caring for your mom....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your sweet mama are in my prayers. (((HUG))) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to get to know you, so I spent a long time going back and back and back to your first post. I was leaving a message when I hit the wrong button and bang! I was out of the internet. Is there an easier way to navigate your archives? I like to start at the beginning instead of reading backwards.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a peek and stopping by to visit!