Sunday, July 26, 2015

Yesterday...



I sat across from a man, while he looked at me, directly into my eyes.  I didn't know him, all that I knew about him was that his name was Steve.  

He took my hands one at a time, and and held mine in his. His touch was soft and gentle. He sat there silent, our knees touching, just looking directly into my eyes, never looking away, totally undistracted.  

He asked me...


What do you want?

He didn't look away.  A few moments passed and he asked me again.


What do you want?

Again, he never looked away. I looked directly into his eyes. He asked me again.


What do you want?

He was totally focused on me, waiting for me to speak, never taking his eyes off mine. His hands felt warm and gentle. He asked me again.



What do you want?

My lips trembled, I struggled to answer his question but I couldn't.  Words just didn't matter to me. I wanted to feel his look, his touch, and absorb fully that he cared only about my answer.

I didn't know him. He didn't know me. He didn't ask about what I do, or where I am. He wanted nothing from me.  I knew we would never meet again, that this moment would only last a few minutes.


I wanted to feel it. 

I wanted to be paid attention to, by an undistracted man, who wanted to hear me, to remember my words, to look into my eyes and hear me.

I looked back at him, straight into his dark brown eyes, and said.

"I want to be heard."





More to come...

Daring to Dream

Battling Bare

Ash Wise

July 2015






9 comments:

  1. there are so many people in this world that this is exactly what they want. I had a homeless man tell me once that what he wanted was for people to LOOK at him and to not turn their eyes away or pass to the other side of the street. he wanted to be seen and I am sure he and many others want to be heard. this is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to say.. today you are Heard by me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking about Jesus as I read this........very thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dazeez, very thoughtful post and intriguing. It has a spiritual tone that so many desire in their life. Looking forward to more! Have a great week ahead. cm

    ReplyDelete
  5. That hooked me in...love those simple words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a powerful question and a powerful answer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a nice post. Thank you for following us at Red Rose Alley. You have a wonderful blog with many sincere thoughts, and I am now following you as well.

    Have a sweet day.

    ~Sheri
    (I see my great friend Celestina up there). :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a peek and stopping by to visit!