Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Pet Peeve Tuesday!

We are back from a short trip! We put 700 miles behind us in three days and today my body is not a happy traveler. I do not like riding in the car especially in heavy traffic, or even not-so-heavy traffic.  I have a history of bad luck in traffic that has left me with what I shall call "anxiety" when we travel. Thehubs is an excellent driver, so excellent that we avoided two accidents only 100 miles into the trip.

PET PEEVE #1:
Drivers who make left turns from the center lane that is clearly marked with signs and painted arrows; and who make that left turn (from the center lane) when their signal is red. Thank you Chevrolet for good brakes and seat belts.

Our first stop on this trip is one of our favorite places to eat and our daughters least favorite place to eat. Thehubs and I love cafeterias.  The Heritage Cafeteria in Springfield has a vegetable that is very hard to find and so delicious - Harvard Beets, cooked in their own juice to delicious perfection.
mmmmmm... good.......

PET PEEVE #2:
Children who refuse to eat at their parents favorite cafeteria.

---------------------------------------

Another one of our favorite shopping places is the Amish Store in Branson.  They carry dehydrated spices of any kind, pickled vegetables of all kinds, and baking goods.  We had to make room in our trunk for a case of the Sweet Baby Corn with bits of red peppers. Sweet, hot and yummy.



PET PEEVE #3:
Having to drive 100 miles to purchase my favorite pickled item, therefor having to purchase a case and then hauling it another 700 miles without breaking the jars and avoiding a pickle mess in the trunk.

-------------------------------------------------

Then it was on to my favorite clothing store in the State of Missouri - Belks at the Landing in Branson!   I need small, short clothes for a 55+ year old woman who just received her AARP card. I can find them at Belks. They were having a huge sale so I had to dig deep into my wallet and find that hidden $100 that I had been saving and nobody knew about, but me. It was so hidden that it took me 15 minutes to find it.


PET PEEVE #4:
Jeans that have zippers that are 2 inches long. Thank you Belks managers for having a post-menopausal section in your store just for short people like me.

---------------------------------

On day two we headed down a two lane highway towards Little Rock enjoying the beautiful scenery and stopping in little towns, little flea markets and mom&pop cafes.  We were about a week ahead of the beautiful colors so no great autumn pictures are posted today.  I did get some new kitchen decor at one of my favorite flea markets in Greenbriar which happens to be next to a signal with a "left turn only" lane.

PET PEEVE # 5:
Please refer to Pet Peeve #1, second time around.


I love the colors cream and black and the
Harlequin pattern has moved to the top of my "LIKE it List"!



---------------------------------------
Thank you Lord
for keeping us safe during our travels
and for blessing us with a good report from the cancer doctor.

10 comments:

  1. Our kids feel that same way about Waffle Houses. LOL- even my oldest granddaughter goes OH NO when we pull into one. Well, it sounds like you had a good time except for the almost accidents! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a ride in the car, on country roads only!! Freeways, highways, traffic lights and traffic, really spoil the experience!!

    I adore your images, are they from your home?? If so, you have a wonderful eye for decorating!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Debbie these are from my dining/kitchen. I love to decorate but have a very limited budget so most of my shopping is at flea markets. I want to share more of our photos but I need to catch a day without the frito bag on the counter, or coupons on the table! LOL!

      Delete
  3. i can relate to how you felt after the trip. before my mother died, we went to Savannah several times a year, it was 778 round trip and we went on Friday and back on Sunday... i can still feel the pain.
    your photos are so pretty and pet peeve 1 about drivers is ditton for me and it happens a lot here.
    i love cafeterias and buffet's but not everyone does,
    my list of pet peeves is way to long for a comment box... i enjoyed reading yours. I love Harvard Beets, that is the first dish I learned to cook in Home Ec class in 1959... i still make it, but i found one in a glass jar that is almost as good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra! I love your photo of yourself and the camera! We live in a small town so our kids have all moved away for bigger opportunities which means we travel a lot on weekends. My Mother worked in the E.R. and I liked to eat, so I learned how to cook very young. I could cook squirrel, quail, dove, deer, raccoons, and rabbits by the time I was 11 years old! I love barbecue!

      Delete
  4. I haven't had Harvard Beets in FOREVER!! Now I want some!!
    My daughter, Amber, just LOVES a cafeteria!! Her husband thinks it's only for old people! They compromise and go every once in awhile on Sunday. Or they USED to! Now that they have the quads.....not so much!
    I love seeing your pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, I love your blog, it always makes me smile! I like to see my food before I choose it! and it tastes homemade like my granny used to make.

      Delete
  5. Harvard beets are one of my favorite things, right above breaded tomatoes! I agree with the idiots on the roads. Glad you are safe. We have amish here, so there are many stores like this around and the summer and fall festivals are full of their booths with all the cookies, pies and jams you can cram in your mouth. So understand the clothing thing. Petites are a tad too short and regulars are too long. When you find the right ones, you have to jump on them with both feet! Love the cream and black and have always loved the harlequin pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra! I love your photo of yourself and the camera! We live in a small town so our kids have all moved away for bigger opportunities which means we travel a lot on weekends. My Mother worked in the E.R. and I liked to eat, so I learned how to cook very young. I could cook squirrel, deer, quail, dove, raccoons, and a rabbits by the time I was 11 years old. My Dad said I would eat anything if it was covered in barbecue sauce!

      Delete

Thank you for taking a peek and stopping by to visit!